Sunday, December 25, 2011

None Other Lamb, None Other Name

I have been overwhelmed with thoughts of late and equally overwhelmed by the busy December, presenting little time to put these thoughts to the keyboard.  The overwhelming has been spent in all things good, I should add.  So here on Christmas Day, I will at least add one and hopefully spend sometime this week making full sense of the beauty I have received from God's gracious hand.  He is the perfect giver.

This morning at my sister and brother-in-law's church, I admit that I do not recall all of the sermon spoken, though there were definitely great points.  But the service was closed with a hymn by Christina Rossetti, one I had never heard before.  The words leaped off the page and forced me into a reflection of this year and these past few months in general.  It speaks in so few words the struggles I have faced and the passions they have stirred in me - to know my God with greater and greater affection while holding a lesser and lesser attraction toward all other suitors.

None other Lamb, none other Name,
None other hope in heav'n or earth or sea,
None other hiding-place from guilt and shame,
None beside Thee. 

My faith burns low, my hope burns low;
Only my heart's desire cries out in me
By the deep thunder of its want and woe,
Cries out to Thee. 

Lord, Thou art Life, though I be dead;
Love's fire Thou art, however cold I be;
Nor heaven have I, nor place to lay my head,
Nor home but Thee.
Thank you, Father, for another set of beautiful words penned long ago that travel through the corridors of time to impact my heart. 

More thoughts to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment