Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New Things

Today was full of new things. We have a new president. I spent a good hour watching his inauguration. No, I didn't vote for him. But I recognize that God raises up leaders and all in authority. Do I hope for him to succeed? Yes, provided that it is solving our nation's problems, but not when I feel he contradicts the clear teachings of Scripture. Though I disagree with many of his policies, I will pray for him and ask God to give him wisdom in the difficult tasks ahead.

I got some new Blu-Ray movies today. There's a lot of hype about a lot of things, but I will step up and say that the hype around high def is appropriate. The video is so pristine and hearing the surround really impacts many scenes. Disney is putting out some of the best and I am enjoying all the movies I have gotten recently, especially WALL-E. It is really great art in every sense of the word. When Pixar can put out a movie with so little dialogue and yet so much art and beauty that some are pushing for Film of the Year, what chance do other studios have?

There's a new album out today that I am enjoying thorougly - Fiction Family. I love Switchfoot and I love Nickel Creek. How awesome it is that Jon Foreman and Sean Watkins have put together this collection of acoustic songs that are just downright cool. The album doesn't really sound like either Switchfoot or Nickel Creek to boot, which is quite alright. They pretty much played all the instruments themselves so this is truly their work. Ah, I love good music and this hits my ears like a Starbucks Strawberries and Creme hits my tongue (I had one of those today so I couldn't resist putting a plug in for it).

But above it all today was the new fallen snow. It is so rare to get snowfall here that is more than a dusting that I had to relish it. I walked to the office rather than drove. After a few hours of work, I grabbed my camera and went photo shooting. New Life Camp is absolutely beautiful with this snow. And I was reminded of something quite profound as I was shooting these pictures.

Psalm 51:7 says, "Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow." It was hard for me to look around because even with no sun, the snow was so white, it was blinding. It is so clean, so pure. I have to say that over the past week, because of my sin, I have felt far from being pure. But I am given the promise of this verse that my sin is wiped away, that as blinding as the white of this snow is, my God looks at me and sees an even more pure heart, a more beautiful sight than this fallen snow. And as I looked at the cross at the campfire, I was reminded of what it cost to blanket me with that stunning white purity. My Jesus gave His life, His blood, to wash me clean. I am covered with love so pure that sin stands no chance against its cleansing power to cover my life and clean every corner.

Today was full of new things, but none were so great as the fresh reminder from the fallen snow that Jesus Christ makes all things new, including me. How amazing He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment